Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eid falls on 9/11

9 years later....
Although I did not sleep last night as I was here on the net sending Eid greetings to all my far and near friends and relatives....The day actually begin when I shut off the computer and offer my fajr prayer at home....then I decided what to wear to the eid prayer ....took a bath and shaved....it was a tough decision to shave because I haven't shaved for a month during Ramadan....I had a small paint brush kind of beard with some grey and black hairs ....it might not look so good on my face but it felt really great with the touch.....but I had to shave it because I had already decided to visit my Papa's grave on my way back from the Eid prayers.....I always shave before visiting Papa's grave....many of his friends are still alive and they keep a very close watch on me....anyways
In the Eid prayer sermon the imam saab tried to remind us of  the sad incident of 9/11 without actually mentioning it....Amazing isn't it...we were sitting on the road in the open...there was very light drizzle and jets both commercial and Airforce were flying over....during the sermon...it was just like a sci-fi movie scene of the future....only the sermon was timeless....because I am so sure it came  down upon us from a darker corner of the British and common wealth office...they just wont stop bullshitting with me....not especially on a historic day like today....
  Slowly and carefully I walked to the graveyard ....the path was very slippery due to the drizzle...usually when I visit the graveyard I am left alone .....as the Undertakers and gardeners try to look busy....this was the first time I visited the graveyard from eid prayer since papa's death....it was still early not many people had reached because the prayers were still going on in the nearby mosques....quickly I prayed and left...
For years and years ...every year ...twice a year...I used to visit the graveyard on eid day with Papa .....never thought some day I'll be visiting his grave....He used to pray and we all only raised our hands and wait till he's finished....and walk back to the car....in an organized manner...I am not sure what to call it ...a drill masters' detail or a duck leading the ducklings in a pond...but that seems to be the only thing our Papa's Bonanza gang ever did together in public on the eid days or for the rest of the year....! I so wish I had a video clip or a picture of this....we had many camera's video and still but nobody ever thought of recording it....maybe because it was not a fun event ....very serious thing done with reverence...and also because most events captured in our lives were done with a view to show it to family and relatives abroad....and nobody here not especially Papa would have ever approved of showing or sending a picture of a graveyard to people abroad...
Continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment