Thursday, April 29, 2010

The touch screen Ipads


Once upon a time many many centuries ago....when I was in the high school or had just left...can't remember correctly...One day I had the opportunity to visit the Computer expo in a local Hotel organised by the computer society of Pakistan.There in the huge hall of the five star hotel I for the first time in my life saw a Laptop on display.I was quite amazed.Everybody was looking at it in surprise....the only relief that other PC desktop vendors had in that expo was that the price of the cheapest laptop was almost three times the price of an ordinary computer with all accessories and peripheral i.e well above a hundred thousand Rupees...Knowing very little about computers and how they operate at that time...I instantly fall in love with the innovative gadget.At once I decided that if ever I have to buy a computer I'll buy a laptop....Then I don't know what happened...but got far far away from computers and into the real world...and almost forgot about the computers because here nothing was being done on or with computers....My life changed once again when both my parents fell ill to fatal diseases....all they wanted from me being the youngest son was to be in front of their eyes 24/7 .In those days I had only two passions Studying Law and watching international cricket...I was kind of abstaining from computers and for years I used to just watch others poking their brains out sitting for hours in front of a computer.....Then an almost a miracle happened that I needed the computer to get in touch with a friend abroad and I did not trust the Imperial Postal service...never have never will...not even in a seven life-times...anyways, from the E-mails and messengers I went on to the Metroblogging and began to love being on the computer....I was using the shared pentium 4 which was the latest at that time but with a dial-up connection which was very troublesome at times and I was allowed to use it only during the night when phone line was not in use....during the day it used to rang like that of a fire-station....lol
One fine summer evening of 2008 I had a stroke of luck when I completely lost track of time doing a blog...and bur
ned the mother board of the Pentium 4....it was the first summer after Papa's death...the cable guy was getting restless and sending someone to bang the door almost everyday....with unbelievable offers for the broadband....when I assured him that the computer is broken his desperation increased....it was so exhilarating to see him suffer....I decided not to succumb to his pressure tactics and hand wrestle for as long as I can ...and see who wins.....and for checking the emails and stuff....I looked for the cheapest cyber cafe....Now this was one of the best experiences of my life...a true stroke of luck...there in the shabby environment of this small cafe I was so surprised to see junk Pentium 2 and 3 working so fast ...I really had a great summer that year and the daily walk to and from the cafe was really good for my mind and body....but soon my family began to notice that I missing from the house...so they got the computer repaired and a little later that year I also got the broadband cable net.With a faster and easily accessible net connection my online activities increased....but then the power and energy crisis begin to worsen....sudden interruptions and power surges caused damage to the booting requiring repairs a couple of times in a year....ironically sometimes the repair of a newer model cost just as much as the total price of a used older version...so this one time when the computer returned from the repair it also had an old pentium 3 used along with it....now when the computer is down atleast I have something to replace it with...the show does not stop....complelety neither does it slows down because an older version of computer performs just as good as a latest one with a faster connection...atleast it does for me...becuase I only use a net connection on a computer for the basic applications such as facebook,twitter,blogger,yahoo,google..etc
Now In the year 2010 the computer world is
changing once again....the laptops failed to capture the market here....because of higher prices and costlier repairs.....the used Laptops and the older versions does not have many latest features such as longer battery power and a Wi-fi connectivity...etc...which are available in the new mobile phones at much lower prices...well of course I am not suggesting the mobile phones can replace the laptops and desktops.....I have mobiles with net connectivity features...and I know how hard it is to use the net from most mobiles....now few months back they released an Ipad
which is rectangular shaped slim body touch sc
reen with wi-fi connectivity available in karachi in the price range of Rs 45,ooo to Rs 70,000 after an initial discomfort the industry pundits are now beginning to give it a thumbs up....so what is going to be the future of computers is not hard to predict now....experts suggest that 70% of computing will be done through the touch screens type gadgets...soon.
I don't know why this has happened to me now....
just when I was so close to buying my first laptop and enjoy the Wi-fi with the ever growing Wi-fi environment around the neighborhood and especially in the ever increasing cafe's and eateries...during the power shut downs.
My first experience with the touch screen was way back when I got a touch screen calculator watch....Casio TC-500 I still have it somewhere in my old stuff...but I have no experience with the Apple applications....so I think it would be prudent to
wait a little bit more for the more mainstream gadgets and applications...which might be on its way to the markets for the christmas/thanksgiving shopping in few months time.



1 comment:

  1. I am certainly making the most of your site. You unquestionably have some extraordinary knowledge and incredible stories. laptop finder

    ReplyDelete